Astilbe - taking cuttings

By Usernut

scotland, United Kingdom Gb

I have an Astilbe "Arendsii Fanal" which i,ve just planted and it has one branch that sticks way out from the rest, can I cut it off and plant the cutting? anyone taken cuttings from one before? any advice?

I found this web page with lots of info on Astilbes hope it helps you

x x x

i dont think you can propagate it by leaf/stem cuttings. if you take the 'branch' down to the root stock and have a little bit of that with it, it will survive though. thats how i divide mine in the spring.

Astilbies will divide .

As long as a separated piece has root attached it will be fine. Id wait till autumn time and also remove a few leaves if possible to help lower water loss

Thanks.. i,ll leave it just now and see how it go's.
I,ll try to leave it to next spring or autumn if it grows out of proportions.

Well, i,ve looked at it again and decided to do it
i,m glad I did, when I lifted the plant, the area was waterlogged, water getting in from the neighbours new slabs. I seperated the branch (with roots) and replanted it in a pot. the parent plant also got moved into a large pot till I decide what to do with the waterlogged area.

Astilbies love to be in damp soils, they are marginal pond plants.