Maine et Loire, France Fr

Identification of greenhouse plant from unknown seed. This came from a packet of mixed seeds from Chilterns. I think the seed was quite large and at first I thought it might be a Ricinus but now I don't think so as it doesn't look like others I've grown. The stem is covered with lots of tiny hairs and the leaves look more like a Papaya than anything else, but it's not that! You guys are usually good in at least pointing me in the right direction, so any suggestions would be very welcome!

Tropical1 Tropical2

Tetrapanax seedling? hard to tell until the leaves have matured.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dgw, from looking at the Google 'images' for Tetrapanax it looks like you may very well be right.
But as you say I will have to wait a bit until it grows a bit bigger and does something. I shall have to find a way of keeping it warm through the winter!
I also notice that Chilterns do indeed sell seed of Fatsia papyrifera (Tetrapanax) so it could easily have found its way into one of their 'mixed greenhouse' seed packets!

« can you tell me what this plant is?