Papaver orientale

By Mageth

sussex, United Kingdom Gb

I have a large clump that needs dividing. When is the best time to do it? Thanks

Opinion seems to be split between early spring and late summer. You can also take root cuttings in winter (Carol Klein says you can take root cuttings virtually whenever you want so I've tried it with an eryngium)

thanks Wagger

i do mine in the early spring, just as they start into growth. but if you leave any root pieces they will grow as well. its a lovely variety Mageth. do you know which one?

its Goliath, got it from Chris Lloyds nursery at Great Dixter

is it your 'logo' picture? I have allegro and coral pink. allegro is in flower but coral pink is only in its first year. fingers crossed for next year.

yes S. I also have an orange one I think must have come with another plant as I didnt buy it. Im on the lookout for Karine and Silberosa. Cedric Morris is another one. Allegro is very similiar with a bit more orangey red than scarlet? havnt came across the coral but it sounds lovely. I give them too much space really, but hey ho!