How did the bluebell get its Latin name

By Cat631

Endymion, a mythical character, was condemed to sleep forever (I think)
Non scriptus. I assume means not much written about. Can anyone explain please how this name relates to the lovely bluebell?

On plant Endymion non scriptus

Hi, i've just googled it too, being a bit of a wordy-nerd I'd wondered about its origin.
Hyacinthoides non scripta: "unwritten", to distinguish it from the legend of Hyacinth that WAS written about (?) Sounds a bit weird to me, but that's what the Wildlife Trust thinks is the reason! The same page says that bluebells have gone through 4 different scientific names recently. Do you know it under Endymion?

Hello Weeding and thanks for your reply. I always knew the bluebell as Endymion but over a number of years noted the use of various other names.Usually, the great god Google provides the answer but not this time.Best regards, Ralph.

If you just Google 'Endymion' you get lots of references to Keats...who was a writer, so maybe the 'non scriptus' is to distinguish it from him!!

• A walk through the bluebells
  • Seat with a view
  • White Bells
  • virginia bluebell bloom