What are these on my Acer?

By Adrian

stroud glos, United Kingdom Gb

In my 1st question on cuckoo spit and froghoppers people kindly explained that the spit was a white froth. I truely am not being funny as none of you know what I know ( if you know what I mean. That's in a song isn't it ? ). My point was that ( my error for not stating ) is it the time for breeding for the bug and this is what they do with the froth used to serve some purpose other than over feeding ? I do hope the picture will help. I'm sure it's not serious but am very curious. Cheers.

They're scale insects.

Have a look at:

Recent advice from doctorbob on this site was to use a cotton bud dipped in methylated spirits to get rid of them, something I haven't tried and didn't know about. Scale doesn't usually kill the host plant though, and there's no treatment otherwise.

Yep. Definitely scale insects so not sure if you saw my last post on your other thread.

• bizzy lizzies around acer
  • Little Acer (Acer)
  • Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet' (Acer palmatum)
  • Acers For Amblealice from my Fourseasons blog