Cardiff, Wales Wal

Our old apple tree, which usually produces a huge crop, has very little fruit this year. No sign of a "June Drop" either and the leaves are blotchy and curled. Any suggestions? Not peach leaf curl I hope..

I think you'll find that apples have suffered badly this year and crops are down everywhere so I wouldn't worry too much. Mainly, I think, due to late frosts at flowering time. For an old apple tree it doesn't look to bad to me. I cut a plum back last year and it had loads of flowers this year but fruit. Also the bees were very reluctant to face the weather early on.

My 6 apple trees are OK this year. Some are quite old minarettes. Might be elements deficiency developing due to all the rain. Epsom salts is easy to dose and magnesium causes leaves to discolour. Get a small tub from chemist and give it a go ...nothing to lose. Dosage not critical just dissolve in water and chuck it on.

Thanks. both, i am encouraged by you, cuts and grazes, and will try your advice too, doriac.

I'm back after a few years away,
Just had to say this (2016) was the best year for apples which we have ever had. I gave away tons!

Wonderful Rachel, Nice to get feed back. Our apple trees are so fickle. One year nothing and then so heavy a crop. The visiting blackbirds have polished off the apples left on the ground in the last 2 frosty weeks. They ignored them until now. One year we had a field fare guarding them during severe weather. Trying to do the bird survey for RSPB. The sparrows are too restless to count.