ceanothus life expectancy

By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

My daughter has been told that evergreen ceanothus has a relatively short life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. She believes I have access to virtually unlimited brain power in GoY and wonders whether this could be confirmed or refuted. Personally, I would be very interested to know if this information about plants is available anywhere - it is something I haven't given a thought to previously.

Bernard, I have just had a quick look on Google where they say that Ceanothus has a life expectancy of ten years. This surprises me as there is a house just down the road that had a huge climbing Ceanothus all the way up the wall and would be well over ten years old. I suspect that it might be the named cultivars that have the shorter life.

It's true you know, 10 years ( to 15 ) if you're lucky. Although, cutting back hard may increase survival generating new life. I'm not sure but it's obviously the case here. Great.

Thank you for your answers which are very helpful.