Zebra Grass....No Zebra Stripes.

By Philc1

Hampshire, United Kingdom Gb

In its third year, growing ok, 3 to 4 ft high but no pale bands this year. Can anyone please tell me why it would lose its 'zebra stripes'. It has been ok the previous two years.

On plant Miscanthus

Now that is odd... you've not done anything differently to it this year? Did the plant get badly frosted over winter?

No, nothing different...and it wasn't affected badly by looks really healthy and strong...but no pale stripes/bands.

Mine looks the same, I think it said on gardeners world/Chelsea flower show that the new growth takes a while to develop the stripes.

Hi - I've had a Zebra Grass for the past 4 years and each year it starts growing with no stiripes at all, once the weather warms up the stripes start to appear, usually mid - end June when the grass is 1m tall. Perhaps wait until we see more summer sun and hopefully the stripes will reappear.

Ok...thanks for your replies...I won't worry...just wait!

• Zebra Grass plumes today (Miscanthus zebrinus)
  • Miscanthus sinensis (Miscanthus sinensis)
  • Miscanthus seedhead (Miscanthus sinensis)
  • Miscanthus Sinensis 'Silberfeder' (silver feather) (Miscanthus sinensis (Miscanthus))