By Funguy

Berkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Lavatera clementii... A friend just purchased two plants as shrubs to fill space in a border. They are about 4 foot high and in flower.
I have read they are short lived, but can anyone advise approx how long they normally live?

The cultivars are weak shrubs and in harsher climates the plants are more herbaceous than shrubby, top growth may not survive the winter, in warmer climates they are shrubby and may survive longer. So I guess its down to the type of winters we get?as to how long they live.

I have tried three years running to keep one over winter, without success, even last winter when it was not so severe as normal up here. I've given up now. Pity, because they flower so generously and grow at such a speed over summer.

Oh i see,well thank you both for your answers.

Sorry, I did not mean my answer to put you off.....

Having said what I said above, I do see Lavateras in gardens further south as big as trees, so it must be possible to keep some varieties for quite some time. Where you are, I should think that was more possible than in the north of Scotland.

I am glad you said that Ojibway, as Berkshire is milder so they may do ok for a few years.

Not at all Obijway, hopefully winter won't be as harsh as the summer has been.