Identify houseplant?

Ohio, United States Us

My daughter gave this plant to me yesterday - I have no idea what kind of plant it is. Can anyone help?

Hi there, are the leaves 'downy' with quite long flower tubes coming from the base of the leaves?

I'm sure it's a gloxinia! Should flower for a couple of months in bright light (not direct sun) Stand pot on damp pebbles and keep water off leaves when you water it (tepid temp). Lovely present from your daughter.

My first thought was a gloxinia too, it's pretty!

I compared some pictures and it's a gloxinia. Sounds like it will be a bit challenging to nurse back to health but I'll give it a try...I'm so glad I found this site today! I have lots of questions about my plants and now I have people to ask - a big thank you to all three of you!

Just saved one of these from the toss it shelf. I knew I'd find a conversation with my care answer someplace. Thanks Spritz! You think with the Saintpaulia would be a good spot?

I believe you treat them exactly as you would African Violets. Don't over water. Only water when the soil is dry. Lots of light. etc.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but I'm intimidated by its size. Its large! I really am tested finding a spot. 15 big blooms and more buds and only $5!

Wow GT....What a great deal.