chocolate vine

wiltshire, United Kingdom Gb

evening all, i have just purchased this lovely looking climber the chocolate vine, could anyone advise me on how to care for it? thanks

Hi Helenflower how lovely to own a chocolate vine...Akebia "quinata".....Frost hardy, position in full sun and any good, well drained soil...Tolerates an east or north facing position. Dislikes disturbance...Can be propagated by seed sown in autumn or spring...By semi ripe cuttings taken in summer, or by layering in winter....Ok???

fab stuff thanks Motinot :o)

You're welcome Helenf..

Ours is on a South facing trellis sheltered from the North wind by the poly tunnel. It is very vigorous, but takes well to cutting back. It is dead easy from self rooting layers. Indeed we have to be careful or it starts to climb into the trellis on the other side of the path. Never had fruit on it though, I think we are a bit cold here for that.