Please help me to ID this plant.

By Jimmee

Manchester, United Kingdom Gb

In the foreground, has red strip along central vein of leaf. Have scanned many books - but no joy.

It is a form of Persicaria, but hesitate to say which one.

If you are thinking this is a weed, then yes and no. Many people consider it so, (dock family) but many people cultivate it too. They can be kept under control and are really lovely.

Not sure but it looks a bit like bloody dock to me. Rumex sanguineus. I've seen it in ornamental gardens and quite fancied getting it myself.

It might start flowering soon, so it will become more easily evident.

Persicaria campanulata or lesser knotweed has a similar type of leaf with red veins, although the red is usually less pronounced than this. Does it have pale pink flowers at any time ?

If you copy and paste this link into your browser there is a picture of it with its flowers.

There is another picture here which shows a bit of the stem growth. It seems there are different sub-types within persicaria campanulata.

its really pretty

x x x