caterpillars...ate my sprouts..

By Mookins

Norfolk, United Kingdom Gb

not too worried about my sprout plants as I cant stand them, but they are about 30cms high and were about 20cms wide so am quite miffed. If I scour my veg patch now and get rid of any little naughties, if I then cover with a fine fleece will this protect any new shoots, etc?

x x x

There are likely to be eggs under the leaves as well, Mookins. I think it's a case of 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted'... sorry. It would be a HUGE job to check every leaf!

so should I just chop it off?, ive only recently planted new seeds out ove rthe rest of the patch as they didnt make it (planted them too early)

x x x

You could spray them - but think about leaving them now, as all caterpillars change to...guess what? Butterflies! hehe. Betcha didn't know that!

Is it possible to protect anything new with fine netting to stop more butterflies laying their eggs on the plants??

eek... have a real phobia of butterflies and more so of moths.

will cover the others and leasve the sprouts exposed
....shudder ....

thanks for the advice

x x x

Have you? I love having them in the garden! Mind you, moths in the house - that's a different thing! Not happy with that! ....XXX

oh goodness.... I have to try and be so brave when Im out and my little girl is with me, they always seem to fly straight to my face...yuk... its the little furry bodies on moths and cannot watch them even on the telly or look at them in books

such a woosie

x x x

what can i do to stop whitebutterflies or catterpillers eating my sproutts savoys

• strange visitor
  • Caterpiller of the Pale Tussock Moth.
  • Pic of Hickory Horned Devil for Bonkers and Toto
  • For Toto - monster caterpillar 2