Does Bottlebrush, Callistemon citrinus red bush need protecting in winter?

By Lillyb

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom Gb

I've just bought this beautiful plant and I would like to know, does it need protecting from our winters etc and I would like to know about the general care for these gorgeous plants

On plant Callistemon citrinus

It certainly likes a sunny sheltered spot and out of the wind.

I have also found its first winter is the critical time - after that it seems stronger. A covering of fleece would help it

Thank you for the information, now I've got to think where would be out of the wind :s

Yes iv got i do that 2 Lilly :/

lol :/

I had one of these for many years, in a pot up against the house. It will grow in the ground in the south as long as it has good drainage. The seed pods stay on the plant for years and get further down the stem each year. Apparantly they need a forest fire to be released and germinate! Not many of them in Herts I hope?

Possibly not but a bonfire would have the right effect - it's a chemical in the smoke that triggers it

We have this plant in the garden, for the last 8 years it had been fine, but the winter of 08 nearly finished it off, we will not get any flowers this year now. We trim off the flowers as the blooms fade, so we do not get the seed pods left on, which makes for a better looking plant, hope this is of some help to you, it really is stunning when in flower.

Think I will cut the flowers off after it has finished flowering.

• Callistemon citrinus (Callistemon Citrinus (Bottle Brush Plant))
  • Bottlebrush White Anzac.... (Callistemon citrinus (Bottle brush) White Anzac)
  • Bottle brush (Callistemon citrinus (Bottle brush))
  • 29_6_24.jpg (Callistemon citrinus)