i am a complete novice when it comes to growing winter flowering bedding plants advice please as i live in lancs and i wont to grow my own so which are the best and simplest to grow. thanks

Pansies are probably the simplest and the most popular to go for.

I agree, If you buy them, the trick is to buy them quite large and in flower as soon as available, the smaller non flowering ones bought in the autumn will not do much till the spring.
Winter flowering Pansies do rest mid season though. I find mine flower till after Christmas then rest for six weeks and then reflower again and this is also the first time I feed them.

I like the smaller flowered viola's.... all a matter of personal taste.

Good luck bedding plants will flower for me here, and we have mild winters being coastal. I buy pansies every year but they just sit looking at me until spring!

Primulas are good for early spring

Karensusan you need to have the pansies flowering when they go in or as Drc says they won't do anything till the Spring.