Sick Honeysuckle

By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

My 2 year old Honeysuckle is beginning to deteriorate and I suspect it has become the victim of Powdery Mildew.
I have sprayed it twice with fungicide and also given it a feed. Some slight improvement occurred, but the problem has re-appeared and the deterioration has continued with the Mildew? re-appearing on a couple of leaves. I wonder if my diagnosis might be wrong so have attached a photo of a couple of leaves which may give the experts something to go on.

On plant Lonicera

certainly looks like powdery mildew. I cant suggest anything else other than what you are already doing. is there a gap behind the trellis to improve air circulation?

One drastic possibility, as it's the height of the growing season, you could cut it back to the healthiest point and let it make more new growth. I've got an old honeysuckle by the front door which gets mildew every year. I've cut it back several times. It hasn't killed it - but it hasn't cured the mildew either!

• Lonicera Mint Crisp with Mme Alfred Carriere. (Lonicera japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Mint Crisp)
  • Lonicera purpusii 'Winter Beauty' (Lonicera purpusii (Shrubby honeysuckle))
  • Lonicera brownii - Mandarin Honeysuckle (Lonicera brownii)
  • Pretty pink and Gold Honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum (Honeysuckle))