Suffolk, United Kingdom Gb

I have an old lilac tree, this year it has sadly died. It is about 12ft tall i like the way the trunk leans, and the outline shape is easy on the eye. My question ---would it be a good idea to plant clematis or rose to climb up.
Not sure if it would be easy to plant among roots. Also any suggestion as to best ones to plant

I have put clematis Niobe up a dead ceanothis. the structure is a good frame for it.

As fr what to grow then it is up t you. early flowering ones and then an autumn flowering one would see the tree covered most of the year. The C alpina type are lovely in spring and have good seed heads. the C tangutica ones are good in autumn too.

I would pollard the tree a bit first for safety reasons!

As the branches dry out they might become somewhat brittle and break off in windy or snowy weather, then you can use the remaining branches as the framework you want.

Thankyou Teegee, yes that is a thought, it does need some tidying up

Many thanks, I shall look up that clematis,and start thinking about getting plants