By Green70

Lancashire, United Kingdom Gb

I have bought a Calla lily in a pot and am putting it in a large terracotta planter on the patio,will it be better planted in soil,a special compost or general potting compost.Can anyone please advise.

First its important to establish quite what you mean by Calla lily - Calla palustris is the only real calla, and that's a bog plant. Other plants often called Calla are Zantedeschia or Arum - do you know which you have? If not, can you post a photograph?

Hi Bamboo
Thank you for your reply the ticket with the plant just says Calla Lily "Golden Nugget" and I have now added photo.
I appreciate your help Green 70

This is Zantedeschia 'Golden Nugget' - its not hardy in winter outside, so you'll need to put it somewhere frost free for winter, or let it die down and save the funny little cormy/bulby things it grows from.
Doesn't like to dry out, but doesn't want to be waterlogged either - I'd use a mix of John Innes No. 2 and multi purpose, or a good multi purpose compost.

Many thanks I will try that .Happy gardening.