rotating crops

By Mary228

Aroostook/Maine, United States Us

Do you always have to rotate tomatoes? What if you have a really small garden? Also do you really have to throw away the soil of a pot that has grown a tomatoe that would be too expensive.

On plant Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomato)

Rotating all veggies is a good idea; it helps prevent disease in future crops. For that reason and because the tomatoes will have used up all the nutrients in the container, it's a good idea to start with fresh soil each season.

Don't throw away soil from pots - use it as a soil conditioner in the garden or grow something DIFFERENT in it this year or mix it half and half with fresh compost :-)

thanks sid, nice to know someone thinks like me. I read all kinds of stuff about not planting raspberries where tomatoes have been planted in the past 3 years and it makes you wonder what tomatoes do to the soil that is that bad. Hate to waste good soil and money.

i have tomato blight in my soil front and back so i have to use containers every year i cannot think of any other reason

• The big boys (Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomato))
  • Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum 'Black Russian')
  • first tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomato))
  • tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomato))