By Dawny

I have grown an apple tree from seed. I planted it 4 years ago and it had a few flowers on but last week nearly all the flowers dropped of and now the leaves are turning black. What could be the cause of this.

Frost damage probably, if it happened before the most recent hot weather. Drought is the other possible cause, but I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue, unless its in a pot and you forgot to water it.

Thanks for your reply. I planted the tree in the ground and it now stands about 6ft high. I have a much older apple tree in the garden but it has not been affected.
This has only happened this week.

Hmm, well any chance you can post a photograph?

I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it on here. I'ts a bit late tonight. Will that be ok?

Oh yes, I'm logging off shortly anyway.

Hi Bamboo. I have put a picture on here of what the leaves look like on my tree.Does this give you any ideas about what has caused this to happen.

Checked the photo - its a bit blurry so I can't see detail, so can't tell whether its got mildew or anything, but I do note there is new growth at the tips, so whatever it is, the tree is growing on regardless.

Thank you for responding. Looks like I have to wait and see what happens next.