Is this wisteria?

east yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

This is growing 4 ft from where the previous owners had a Wisteria. I havent noticed it before which is strange as it has a woody stem. for the last 3 years the Monarda 'cambridge scarlet' has filled the space and I have split it this year..

On plant Wisteria sinensis

Hard to say as the leaves are not quite unfurled fully, but quite possibly a yes. When leaves are flatter, try comparing with other wisteria pics?

but i am impatient :o) If it is I'll nag a certain man in my life to build an arch to train it up. if it isnt I'll pull it out. I did wonder if it was laburnum when i first saw it but I have a self sown job and it isnt that.

Hi E, It looks very much like a shoot off the root of the old Wisteria, how long ago has the origional one gone? Well hubby has got his Bank Holiday free but by next weekend you should know for definate, so he has got time to make plans to dissapear!!!!

we've been in for 12 yrs and it died the following winter, never flowered according to a neighbour. Well i dug it out that spring when it didnt leaf. He is at work on Monday and I think he is rather relieved too!

It would be good if it is a Wisteria! Fingers crossed. x

If not Sbg, I've a white one that I'm growing from seed, if you don't mind waiting for it? Just a thought.....

Oh dear Craftnutter it will be a long wait if grown from seed esp if hoping to flower - most wisterias grafted to speed up the process .. even then can be hit and miss.

Thanks CN but i will wait and see what this is, i also have a climbing rose to find a home for.

Wisteria can spread by tendrils both above and below ground. It can also spread long distances, it is not unusual here to see it growing up pine trees 40-50 feet. Wisteria grows very well here (not sure if it is a native) and if not kept trimmed can get out of control.

Is it Wisteria? you are further north than I and mine is just flowering but no sign of leaf yet?????

• Wonderful Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria))
  • Wisteria and Montana Broughton Star on pergola. (Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria))
  • Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria))
  • Glicinia flowers in Spring (Wisteria sinensis)