Can one cut back the underside of Pampas grass?

By Katya

Kent, United Kingdom Gb

I have a marvellous pampas grass but it is eating my small lawn. Is it possible to trim the underside so that I can have both the pampas grass and the the lawn in its present shape?

On plant Cortaderia selloana

Yes, definitely and before it will take over. It is a very invasive plant, so keep it under control. I know it is decorative, but it actually is a weed. Half it by all means and then I would put a border around it, so it will know its limits. Every now and then just put the spade in around the edges and cut the runners in the ground. If it hangs over your lawn, cut it back again. It will be a clumping kind of grass and stick your shovel underneath and wriggle it up, then cut a whole chunk off. See how you go, it is tiring, but will be much better.

you can burn it to the ground infact if you move thats the thing you do

I burn mine off every Spring, you can do it know I did mine about a month age. set fire to all the dead stuff and the new green shoots will come through fresh.

its part of a lot of grasses life cycle it actualy good for it though i wouldnt recomend it if its near a shed or your washing lol

• Pampas Grass (Cortaderia selloana)
  • Pampas grass in the sun (Cortaderia selloana (read more here))
  • Pampas plumes (Cortaderia selloana (read more here))
  • Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana (read more here))

Next question »