By Mookins

Norfolk, United Kingdom Gb

do "Red riding hood tulips actually flower? I have lots of beautiful stripy leaves and no sign of any buds?

very odd as planted at the same time as my other tulips (sheilas or something cant remember) and they are showing lots of signs of budding

They certainly do flower. I found a bag of bulbs in my shed, had no idea what they were and popped them in to see what happened. They were Red Riding Hood tulips!
They have stripey leaves, resistant to slugs (yippee! I have BIG problems with slugs n snails), the flowers are shiny, bright red, they close up at night into a pyramid shape, then open up during the day revealing a black centre. Very pretty and a great surprise that they actually grew!

thats great news for me and hubby he will love taking photos of natures wonders. My little girl would like that too seing them go to bed

thank you for that greenfingers
x x x

I have had them flower but the slugs got mine:o(

they must have been monster slugs SBG

Sbg, have you ever tried putting cut up soft drink bottles over them at night to stop the critters? You do also need to push them into the ground for a bit too. I know real cloches are expensive but wondered if anyone has tried this for real?

If anyone looked into my garden to see what I was growing they would wonder where to get hold of "plastic bottle seeds!" The garden is heaving with them! As we're surrounded by ancient walls and have a meadow sloping down to the garden the word has quickly gone out into the slug and snal communities that there are some tasty morsels to be had - but they don't dine in MY garden! Ha!

Phew Nariz, now I know I can use them in my garden! Well done for beating them without harming them, feels good, doesn't it?!

the local yobs will use them as target practice if they were in the front garden :o(

Oh SBG! You still having trouble?