Can anyone identify this bush please?

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi there
A friend of mine wants one of these and has sent me a photo to see if I know what it is. I have posted one picture here and another on my own pictures as 'Mystery Plant'. I thought it might be a mahonia but if so I'd like to know what type it could be. She said it smells incredible.
Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Could it be a berberis? Try a google image search, or search on this site for others' photos of theirs and see if they match?

I agree Weeding, especially if it is a prickly, thorny plant.

Going by the spikes just visible i'd go with berberis but dont know which one. Its leaves dont look prickly enough though.

Hi thank you for your suggestions so far, I think it definitely could be a berberis. Seaburngirl, I agree though, I've googled it and the leaves do not seem quite right or even the right colour. It might just be the images that are available though. I've asked my friend to google berberis and see what she thinks. I can't find any that are described as being fragrant either, are they generally fragrant shrubs?

I think one we had years ago in my parents' garden was, yes.

I'd agree with berberis. Yes, they can be quite scented. There are a lot of different ones.

Thanks again for this. Can I also cheekily ask if it's easy to take a cutting and grow it in a tub?

Sorry, haven't tried - I have one berberis and it is sooooo prickly that I don't want to propagate it! Maybe someone else has done it???