By Scotkat

Angus, Scotland Sco

I was thinking in changing myherb raised bed an area to grow soft fruit.

Like a Blackberrie bush,Raspberry and blueberrie

Whats your thoughts in this ?

I think it would depend on the size of the bed, SK. Blueberry bushes are not too big. Raspberry canes can take up a bit of space, though, because they need support and tying in. Is it blackberry (bramble) or blackcurrant you would like to have?
You are certainly in the right area for growing these!

Yes Bramble Wilma not blackcurrant

Came across this site .

Not used them before ,has anyone.

I have an another border behind one of my greenhouse that I could turn in to a herb bed.

Or have pots of herbs.

And make my raised bed into soft fruits.

How big is your raised bed Scotkat that is going to be the deciding factor. Raspberry canes take up a lot of space.

Approx 8ft by 2ft MG its behind one of my greenhouses.

Blackberries take up a lot of space too and need a big framework to support the briars which can easily grow to 10 feet long in a season. Blueberries need an ericaceous soil. Raspberries would take up the whole space you have, so it looks as though you are going to have to choose.

In an area that size I would tend to favour currants or gooseberries, both of which are well behaved spacewise.

Agree with Steragram you need bushes rather than cane fruit which requires more space. So gooseberries, black currents and, of course, strawberries!

I love blueberries and brambles though or put some in my raised bed and rest in the community garden

MG got plenty strawberries.

Many thanks all

Brambles will need serious controlling... the can that have fruited, like rasps. need to be cut out every year... It is a very small patch for fruit Scotkat

Even thornless MG

Even thornless Scotkat, basically they are thugs.

Thank you MG I will fill it with blueberrie bushes instead.

As can always go and pick my own rasp.

Or Raspberry in deep pots