By Vix1981

Cornwall, United Kingdom Gb

I want to make my own compost, after finding out what I can and cant put in. What I want to know is, do I have to buy a proper compost bin, or can I use and ordinary black bin? Will that be as good?
thanks x

I made a compost bin with some bits of timber, and laid an old carpet over it with some rocks to hold it down, all you realy need is something that will keep it together and covered, A plastic bin just looks nicer, than a pile of compost surronded by wood. If you have a large garden where you can hide it, just make your own.

you can use any sort of receptacle to store it , checkout this web site
they sell proper bins for £6 or £8 in Scotland, there maybe the same scheme in England , either way there is some great info regarding composting. I bought two from themand they are ideal.

Thanks for your help.

Ive looked on that site, to buy the same one in Cornwall is 15 pound and 5 pound delivery. Surely a black bin would be cheaper and do the same job?

it would , I have never used one for that but I think if I did I would be inclined to cut the bottom out of it ,this would allow worms and beasties to do their job breaking it up.

Mac is correct you wil have to take the bottom out otherwise you will get a lot of liquid build up and it will stink. But it should work well.

Some Councils offer compost bins at a very cheap price - that's how I got mine in Essex. Check it out with yours - you will probably have to pick it up from a depot somewhere, but it could save you £££££s. :o)

Thank you all for your help, I think I will bite the bullet and actually buy a proper one in the next few days. Is it sad of me to be a little excited? lol

no it isnt. I get the micky taken out of me all the time.

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond