By Mic1664

Hi I want to reduce an oak tree's height. Is it possible to remove a section from the middle or lower part of the trunk to achieve a smaller tree,

You will need a knowledgable tree surgeon to do this. Oak trees are meant to be tall!

It would need to be done very skillfully as much of the beauty in a mature oak is its shape.

Um, I may be misunderstanding something here, but it isn't April 1st yet. Is it?

Very good point.

Oh gawd... I missed the stupidity of this Q!

Nothing stupid about your question at all!! Oak trees can be pollarded to reduce their general height. Most oak trees have some sort of tree preservation order on them. So first port of call would be your local council tree preservation officer. Say what you would like to be done, they will come and have a look, and then, if go-ahead given, you need to contact a local recommended tree surgeon to do the job properly. The Council recommended tree surgeons can cost a fortune - try your local parish tree warden for recommendations. Whomever you get to do the job, if they don't ask for a TPO certificate to go ahead, or query it in any way, then don't go ahead with them, or you may be liable to heavy fines. A final thought - now is not a good time to pollard/cut down trees, and you may have to wait until the later summer/autumn. Your local tree officer will confirm.

Avkq I think you have miss read the Q as I did

"Is it possible to remove a section from the middle or lower part of the trunk to achieve a smaller tree,"

Someone is playing silly B's!

Thank you Avkq47 Yes i am fully aware of the TPO thing. I have had many run in's with my local council regarding trees in my garden. .... But i still thank you for your comments.

You are welcome, Mic1664. An oak, taken carefully down to its central point, will always resprout. All the branches are cut back to the main stem/s. After that it is a 3-5 yearly cycle of pollarding, depending on the height you wish to keep it to and the growth produced. Once you start pollarding you have to keep going with it. Tree Preservation Officers i have come across prefer the pollarding option, rather than the tree 'hacking' option of reducing the odd branch, unless it is a particularly old tree, with a TPO on it, in which case things get a little tricky, and you need to express to them the problems the tree is causing you in your house and garden. Good luck!