By Bill47

Lancashire, United Kingdom Gb

Can anyone identify this plant for me please? It's a rescue plant from an office a few years ago but it's growing like mad now. I would like to know if I can prune it.
It's 10 feet tall and the leaves are huge, 12 inches long by 6 inches wide, very leathery and veiny.

Ficus lyrata or lyre leaved fig You should be able to prune it back by half if you want.

Dear Andy,

Thanks for identifying the plant for me.
I've got some spare Passionflower seeds, (P Morifolia).
Would you like some?
Thanks again,

Ive really got nowhere to grow them Bill but thanks a million for the offer. Is Morifolia hardy ?

Ficus lyrata are lovely but just treat them like a rubber plant. They're pretty robust and as yours seems to be growing well, just leave it where it is and cut it back.

Good luck

Hi Andy,

No, not very hardy, although if I get my hands on some I'll keep you in mind.

Thanks again,

Watch out for the latex sap when you cut the plant. Put newspaper underneath for a while afterwards in case it drips. also, wash the secateurs/scissors afterwards too. You could try the pieces as cuttings as well, nothing to lose!