By Jjulio

Johannesburg, South Africa Za

Would like to know if it is "common" to find conjoined twin flowers, similar to the one I photographed last year and you can see on my blog

[The shot of a Coccinia Adoensis - which normally has five petals]

No it isn't 'common' but it does happen. It is called fasciation and means that the stems of two or more flowers have joined together - take a look at these images by copying and pasting the link into your web browser (not Google) or simply type the word fasciation into Google

It happens with a few of our primulas and can be a pain if we had planned on showing them as fasciation is not allowed.

WOW! That's a new term I've learned today, thank you!
I've noticed this "fasciation" happening on some of my figs, too; in fact it is not uncommon as I would think - at least with figs.
I believe a fig is in fact a flower - am I wrong?
I am going to introduce this new term on my blog, lol, thanks very much for the information.

That reminds me..I will go and see what is happening to the Euphorbia I posted.

Figs have flowers, very small, and fruits so I've no idea which it is occurring on.

« cutting from a red robin