A squirrel nuisance!

West Somerset, England Eng

A friend has a squirrel in his small garden which is being a thorough nuisance - digging up bulbs and plants etc. Please could anyone advise on a humane (and legal!) way of getting rid of it before it wrecks the place?

On plant Squirrelus horridus

air rifle

i had to resort to chicken wire cages over bulbs until they were a decent size. There is a family of five currently.
you could try humane live traps and then release it some distance away. [at least 5 miles]

I grated heavily perfumed soap on top of my pots housing bulbs. Apparently squirrels don't like it because it makes them sneeze! So far so good.

Sounds silly but he could try putting food out for the squirrels? bread, nuts etc?

I have three or four squirrels that come and I feed em peanuts etc , now and again they hide the peanuts in the tubs but I can live with them ,if they can live with me. sorry spritz that aint no help whatsoever.

Apparently, this one comes into the garden with peanuts from elsewhere, buries them in the containers and almost laughs when approached! I've suggested a water pistol to scare it off - do you think that might work?

I'll pass on the soap idea - thanks.

If you catch a squirrel in a cage, you are not allowed to release it anywhere as it is classed as vermin

So does it have to be killed then - and is that legal, Andrew?

• look who I found asleep in one of my gardens.
  • It's mine....All mine....,HA HA ha  aha  ha...!
  • One for Potty Gardener ?
  • STOP and Smell The Roses