By Hank

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

My next door neighbour has a very ancient apple tree, some 15 ft or so high, which has loads of apples on every other year, despite having no attention at all for umpteen years.
Is it possible to identify this tree ?

I don't think so Hank but hopefully someone will tell you differently.

Hi Hank,

Without a photo of the apples and the tree it would be almost impossible, even then it could be difficult as there are so many varieties with about 7,000 - 8,000 different cultivars

You may find this interesting Hank

Great help Pimpernel!

From RHS Fruit: biennial ... Some apple cultivars, are prone to biennial bearing including ‘Blenheim Orange’, ‘Bramley’s Seedling’ and ‘Laxton’s Superb’ but almost any apple or pear can fall into this pattern of cropping.

It is most likely to be initiated where trees are starved or receive insufficient moisture. This makes them unable to carry a heavy crop which in turn stimulates the production of excessive flower buds for the following year.

Biennial bearing can also be started by frost destroying the blossom one spring.

Plenty more on the RHS web site.

1 Dec, 2011

Thanks for the help guys.- re the apple tree. Am onto the website Pimpernel, thanks again.
Tomorrow I am leaving these shores for the Winter - in San Diego, California. But I'll keep in touch, am learning a lot here.

1 Dec, 2011

Lucky you Hank, have a lovely time over there...There is no escaping though...We have GoY member Delonix1 out there in San Diego. We will be expecting some Photographs and the odd Blog.

1 Dec, 2011

I'll wave as you fly over Arizona, too, Hank!

2 Dec, 2011