By Beegee

East Sussex, United Kingdom Gb

hi everyone, i want to grow mistletoe on my apple tree this year, do i cut the bark and put the seed under it or just leave it on the top thanksand cover it ,?? thanks to all replies.b.

Sorry dont no but be interested on this.

It doesn't have to be just apple trees either, a lot of trees are suitable hosts if you try it
The way to go about it is to just break open a small part of the bark slightly and push a few seeds into it and try and cover it back over, it takes a good few years to develop but it's a good long term investment.

This needs to be done in February when the seed has matured. I don't think the berries in xmas mistletoe are mature enough to germinate.

Just do what the birds do and wipe some ripe seeds along a branch - cracks and crevases are good for holding onto the seed, especially if we have any heavy rain. I would resist cutting into the bark for this, especially as apples tend to have lots of their own fissures etc.