Is it worth buying a heated propagator or do the non heated do as good a job

They're different things for different purposes - some seeds require bottom heat to germinate, some cuttings also to produce roots, but others don't.

id say there better as you have more options . you can always turn the power of but you cant add heat without a heated propergater .

A heated propargator is a boon to the gardener as it takes the uncertainty out of germinating expensive seeds and striking cuttings. One with a variable temperature control is even better.

I enjoy growing my own plants-- especially tomatoes and peppers-- well nigh impossible without the heated propagator

i totaly agree .

I took some cuttings from a tender salvia a month ago, having forgotten to do it earlier in the summer. The pots are stood on a heated propagating tray and they have rooted already; without bottom heat, it is very unlikely they would have 'taken' so late in the season. A heated propagator is definitely more flexible than an unheated one

great minds andrew asthey say lol .