Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom Gb

In the summer this year, I planted three or four dogwood plants and their red stems now look lovely - a couple of week ago on the Alan Titchmarsh show (ok, ok, I admit it... should have been in the garden instead of watching day time TV!) he took some "hardwood cuttings" from dogwoods and I want to do the same - can I take the cuttings from the side stems of the plant or do I have to cut back the central stem - does that make sense? Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

You can take cuttings from wherever you like as long as you don't spoil the look throughout the winter. I would take them in late winter or early spring. When spring comes, cut the whole lot back hard. If you let it carry on growing the stems will begin to loose their colour as it needs to regenerate the new wood to produce the bright red stems.

thanks Jimmytheone - do you think its too early now then? not sure when late winter is??

Late winter would be mid January through to end of February, Milliemills.