soil and compost

By Racheal

London, United Kingdom Gb

I am going to try some of the ideas you offered Marge recently. With regard to potatoes in containers. However I garden in a yard with little or no access to garden soil. Can I use homemade compost neat in containers? Or should I be purchasing something to mix with it? The compost is made up of veg peelings, leaves, garden waste and small amounts of newspaper. cheers Racheal

Hi Racheal,
You need 7 parts of good soil, 3 parts of your compost, 2 parts grit or sharp sand, good for potatoes, strawberries, carrots, beetroot and lettuce.

Pure compost is a bit rich for growing anything directly. I hate the thought of you having to pay money for soil - do you have a friend who can let you have a couple of buckets full?

Thanks Doctorbob1 and Bulbaholic very helpful. Good point I can beg some soil from a couple of friends. Cheers Racheal

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond