West Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

I am thinking of transferring my lavender from its pot into the garden,is now the right time to do this?

Make sure it's in a sunny position with well-drained soil.

it mite be worth cutting it back a bit so more goodness goes to the roots . it will soon grow back next summer or the year after depending how longg it takes to throw down its roots .

Erm, no, Noseypotter - not by more than an inch, Lavender does not grow off old wood.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Please dont confuse me Nosey and Bamboo To prune or not to prune that is the question ? (Shakespeare ! }

Don't prune is the definitive answer. Just dead-head at this time of year, then in the spring, trim the lavender a little, but NOT into the old wood, as Bamboo said - unless you want to kill it of course? :-/

Nobody has thought to ask you - is it an English or a French Lavender? If it's L. stoechas, the French one, then it might need winter protection. They're not nearly as hardy as the English sort.

Not sure The flower heads are on long stems

Are the flowers fat with pretty 'ears' sticking out at the top? That's basically what French Lavender looks like.

English Lavender flowers are slender all the way up. They have the typical scent you'd think of as 'Lavender' too.

oops my mistake but it is a common thing to do i know that much bamboo x .

I have googled it and its definitely English

That's good - it's definitely hardier than L. stoechas. :-)