Bristol, United Kingdom Gb

Yucca regrowing?? I had all trees/shrubs taken out of the front garden in june, this is the only regrowth - I think it's from where the yucca was; there are loads of new shoots - can anyone tell me if I am going to have a 'yucca forest' in my front garden please?!!!

On plant Yucca

Looks more like Phormium to me Jeanette, you have 4 of them and they get big, if you dont want them there, i would dig them up and pot them on, someone you know maybe would like a free phormium, or plant one in another part of your garden, give it plenty room tho...

That Yucca/Phormium looks like Cordyline to me...Lol

I thought that too Pimpernel, just the leave's look a bit thick for a newly growing Cordyline, Im probably wrong :))

It's a Cordyline. The prominent, orangish midribs are diagnostic. Looks like they didn't do a very good job of removing the stump!

Agree, Cordyline - they'll be four offshoots off the main trunk, which has obviously been cut down but the roots left behind. Will grow into a four trunked tree - if it gets through this winter...

thanx for your help everyone!!
I checked my blog fotos just now and realized the yucca was further forward and to the right of where these shoots are - but I can't remember anything growing in this patch - except maybe ferns... a friend wondered if taking up the weed-suppressing membrane might have uncovered this plant??
I would like to know whether permanent removal of this plant is possible..altho the root/stump is pretty solid..??

Yes its possible - just not very easy. I'd wait for the winter to wither the growth and then have a go at getting it out next Spring.

thanx bamboo! that's another job for spring then lol!!

My advice assumes we're having a severe winter though...

but if we don' there a 'chemical' way to remove the stump - without affecting all the newly planted shrubs in the same bed?

No. You can apply a chemical to stop it regrowing, but you will be left with the stump/s.

well, that would be an option..I can always plant around the's messing up my planting plan as it is!! wot is the chemical I need please? thanx bamboo

The trouble is, I suspect the main stump is dead - these offshoots are probably/possibly growing on the main roots rather than the original stump, and if that's the case, poisoning any stump won't be an option. The chemical I'm talking about is SBK, and should be applied to woody parts after making cuts or drilling into them, without getting it on the soil.

thanx for yr advice bamboo,I have heard of this and know you have to be careful with it..will leave well alone at the moment!!

• Yucca elephantipes. (Yucca elephantipes (Giant yucca))
  • Yucca brevifolia from a Recent Trip (Yucca brevifolia (Joshua Tree))
  • Yucca flower (Yucca filamentosa (Adam's needle))
  • Yucca gloriosa variegata. (Yucca gloriosa (Spanish dagger) variegata)

« What is this triffid

What is this triffid »