I have a problem with my pear tree - well what I thought was a pear tree! the fruits appear to look like pears (albeit a bit smaller) but inside the flesh is brown and very seedy, I am now wondering whether it is a pear at all or whether it is just a very poorly pear tree?!

Anyone have any ideas what it is?

Strange_pear Strange_pear_2

They don't look very appetising! Sorry I can't help, though. :-(

they do look like pears on the outside, but not so much on the inside. No idea, but have you tasted them? (You could always spit it out if it was horrible)

Could it be a variety of quince?

Agree they don't look very appetising, but actually smell quite sweet rather than rotten - not sure am brave enough to try them though! Thanks for responses in any case.

Don't think it's a quince as quince is supposed to have yellowy/cream flesh .. but did think of that one! thanks.

Why not post a photo of the leaves and the tree, as well? It might help with the ID.

Go on, try it - nothing venture nothing win. If it smells sweet its probably delicious.