Suffolk, United Kingdom Gb

Hi everyone, good to be back after being off for about a month. haven't been too good, but am feeling a lot better now. I found this insect on my runner beans and wondered if anyone can identify it for me. it looks similiar to a ladybird, but if you look carefully it has black and yellow markings around the edge of it..... Thanks!

24th_august_2011_016 24th_august_2011_026

Its a young green shield bug, once it gets older it becomes plain green.

And will not harm anything

It does feed on plant sap, but it rarely takes enough to bother the plants it lives on.

Thanks everyone for identifying it for me and for informing me that its harmless to the plants. It does make you wonder if its poisonous, if you find an insect that you've never seen before. :>))

At least you checked rather than going the 'exterminate, exterminate' route... most bugs in the garden are good guys, and even the baddies have their positive aspects!

My customers are always bringing in Ladybird larvae and asking "What do I spray it with!?" It usually takes about 20 minutes to talk them down from their panic attack.

Thanks Moongrower :o))

Thanks Tugbrethil.:o))

I dont like killing things in the garden as most of them do good. The only things I'm really not keen on are spiders.

Thanks to a neurotic mother I used to have a spider phobia I now think they are wonderful beasties!

Nice to know you have got friendly with them MG, wish I could, but will say I,m not as bad as I was when I was younger.....gosh, that was a lot of years ago............ Where does the years go ?

• Nigella ' Persian Jewels ' from Flowercrazy
  • Love is blossoming all over my yard it seems !
  • Damsol flies (for Sticki and Surreylad!)
  • Double Take!!