By Sheilar

Sunderland Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom Gb

This plant just appeared in my front garden. I'm sure I did not plant it. Any ideas?

27_08_2011_019 27_08_2011_020 27_08_2011_022

Not sure but it looks like a weed to me. Something similar keeps appearing in my garden along with other weeds.

No Idea, except my head keeps saying malot or maliot.
How is you daughter ?

Pimpernel, were you thinking of Melitot? Could be that

I can't find a plant called melitot. There is a Melilotus, but that is a clover relative. This one looks like a daisy relative.

Pimpernel - I've sent you a private message.

Tug we have three melitots, Melitotus officinalis, M. alba and M. altissima. Like the clover they are all distantly related to clover as you say, as members of the the pea family. Looking more closely the photo shows warty leaves and lots of stem hairs and while M.altissima does have hairy fruit its leaves and stems are smooth, so it isn't that. I can't see anything like it in the daisy family either, except perhaps bristly ox tongue, what do you think? It would be interesting to see it when the flowers have come out.

All of the Melilotus that I know of have three leaflets per leaf, like a clover. This one has entire, linear leaves, similar to many weedy composites. Also, many of the stems end in clusters of bracts, such as composite flower heads appear during the early stages, especially many species of groundsel (Senecio).

I had given up on Melitotus - only mentioned it as a reply to Pimpernel. Did you consider the bristly ox tongue, Picris
echioides? Not convinced about that either but it was the nearest I could find looking at the closeup, but the general shape of the plant in the other picture isn't like it. I'm baffled.

It's still in the garden so when it flowers, I'll post a pic on here, maybe it can be identified then.

Don't let it seed then !