What veg can I grow in a north-facing garden?

The garden is 16'x10',path up the middle.It does get some direct sunlight I think in late spring and since its quite sheltered can get quitw warm too. I had wanted to grow potatoes. Will this work? What else could I try growing? Am a complete novice! I live on Holy Island.

You could try potatoes. I grow them on my allotment which is shaded for part of the day by tall trees. It's probably best to stick to hardy veg, as tomatoes would not like it much. Lettuce or spinach should work, also Swiss Chard. Try a few of lots of types and see what grows best.

As you are in a cold area, plant your potatoes in April, North to South. Turnips, Swedes, Parsnips, Carrots, Spinach, Beet, Cos lettuce, Kale and Sea kale should all give you good results.

Thanks a lot for this ! I actually feel encouraged to have a go now. It can be a bit daunting starting out so its great to know there are folk out there ready to give a word of advice now and then.

You will get losses but then you get them in a sunny spot too, keep plugging away and you'll find out what grows best in your patch. My Grandad used to say that you can grow the same crop for years in a row and it will perform differently each time.