any ideas please

By Dave22

yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

ive seen this tree/bush growing abundantly on some wasteland,at the side of a disused railway has flowered in the last couple of weeks,and has really sharp needles all over.cheers.

Gorse? Have a sniff of the flowers - it's got the most surprising, oddly tropical coconutty scent.

thanks, after googling gorse,i can see youre spot on.

If you pick the flowers you can make gorse wine with them. Mind your fingers though, very prickly.

Lovely rhyme "When gorse is out, kissing is in. When gorse is in kissing is out!"

You may kiss when gorse is in flower, but since it is in flower all year round this is not a problem!

There's loads of this near where I live, so pretty, but very prickly! Lovely!

thanks for all the replys.would the wine taste of coconut?.im thinking of transplanting some to our garden,to deter cats,as we have a lot of birds use the garden,and we have just bought a for everybody if the cats stay the other side of the fence.

I think an Ulex europaeus no