Hi,I have recently retired
I have recently retired. For a number of years I have been planting 10 x 14” hanging baskets and 16 plastic pouches for the summer. I have been using up to 30 plants in each basket and 10 in each pouch, usually a combination of Petunias, Impatiens, Geraniums, Begonias, Lobelias and Fuchsias’. All plants are either normal or trailing types. The cost of these plants has been increasing over the past few years and I am considering growing my own from seed. I have an unheated 8’ x 10’ greenhouse with two tiered benches on 3 sides.
To help me decide whether or not to grow from seeds could you please help me in answering my following questions?
1) Should I buy a heater for my greenhouse?
2) What type would be best?
3) What seeds would you recommend for a beginner?
4) Can you suggest more plants to enhance my display?
5) How many of each seed type should I buy to guarantee the number of plants necessary for planting on?
6) Do I need to buy any special equipment/material?
7) What compost is best for the seeds and seedlings?
8) Can I buy the seeds this year ready for using next year?
- 4 Aug, 2011