Can anyone help with the name of this weed? It grows quite tall with bamboo type stalks which if cut leaks a milky rubbery type substance. The pods also explode in the sun! They are popping up all over my garden!

We need a photo to ID it Burton. You can edit your question and add it, or try again with a photo this time.

It could be one of several things - Himalayan Balsam is the front runner IMHO, but I would have expected you to mention the pretty pink flowers.

I answered on the 2nd question, Beattie. I hope you agree with my ID!

Thank you Spritz! Almost! ;-)

Sounds like it might be a spurge. They have white stuff and seeds that pop audibly. Get rid of ASAP.

It is caper spurge Dorjac. Burtont posted the question again with a photo today. You were right, on just the description - gold star to you! :-)

And I only get a silver. :-((

Ah, but your garden gets a whole BUCKETFUL of gold stars, Spritz!
Which month do you open it in? I'm kind-of hoping that I may be in a position to visit it next year... Fingers crossed and so on. :-)

June, normally, Beattie. The NGS documents arrived yesterday, and have to be sent back by early September, so we have to fix the 2012 dates very soon.

It would be lovely to meet you! :-))