By Jill_

Devon, United Kingdom Gb

Why should my Magnolia produce a flower now? Photo isn't very good, but at least it's proof.

It's confused by the strange weather we've had. We had a hot spell in April, then it went cold, then hot again, today it's like October here, but less sunny!
I've got a Rhodo that's flowering for the third time this year.
I'm sure your Magnolia will produce plenty of flowers next spring, as well as a few now.

Thanks Beattie, probably the same reason my bathroom Ciclamen is in full flower.

My kitchen cyclamen flowers on and off at all sorts of times of the year. I noticed last week that my Cyclamen hederifolium in the garden are out and flowering enthusiastically - and they're not due til late August/ September

In that case I shall look forward to more enjoyment from my cyclamen than I'd expected!

I shall also check out the C hederifolium; if it's suitable for Cornwall then I imagine it will also be happy in Devon.

Thanks once again.

Have a look at Cyclamen coum as well. It flowers later than hederifolium - one follows the other, and they are quite similar. Lovely little tough plants that do OK in dry shade if they have to.

Thanks again Beattie, I shall certainly take your advice.