Tyne And Wear, United Kingdom Gb

No flowers on my clematis - why ? It was planted July 2010 and formed buds about Sept, but it got too cold for them to open. It hasn't formed any buds at all this year. I pruned it in mid Feb 2011 and its grown well otherwise.

Which clematis is it? It is very possible that your pruning it removed the flowering buds.

The name of the variety you have would be very useful, Gateshead.

Have been racking my brains all day but cant recall the name of it. I'm sure it was polish sounding or something to do with polish, I bought it because I had seen comments that it could produce the largest flowers ever on a clematis-up to nine inches across in that lovely lavender blue colour. Could kick myself for throwing away the label. Thanks for trying to help

Gateshead, you've just learnt a lesson - never, never, throw a plant label away!

There's one called Polish Spirit, but the flowers are purple, not lilac. And not as large as, say, H F Young or Lasustern. If it is Polish Spirit, its a late flowering one - copious amounts of water may well encourage flowering, but I'm wondering if you've been feeding and if so, what with? Assuming its in the ground too...