Is 90% shade cloth ok?

By Janine

South Australia, Australia Au

I just purchased a large dicksonia Antarctica tree fern and was wondering if the 90% cream coloured shade cloth will be enough protection from the harsh Australian sun. We are currently in a 44oC heatwave and my tree fern is alittle black on the leaves. Is this expected? I am keeping it moist.

On plant Dicksonia Antarctica

i am not exactly an expert but i have grown a tree fern in NTH QLD by putting it under my stairs (very shaded area but alot of light) and pitting it in a shallow dish of water to keep it constantly moist. tho as soon as i moved it anywhere near the sun it burnt.. the cream shadecloth still might be letting a bit too much sunlight thru.. i hope i helped a little at least. good luck

Janine, I did reply to your question privately. Yes, shadecloth would be wonderful. I've always used the green one, but 90% is fine. I told you they only need it when small, they grow naturally here out in the open sun and in shade in the rainforest, so they are very hardy. Did you read the message? I said mine even survived a transplant.

Like Carmz and Marguerite I too have grown tree ferns before and during very very hot summers - maybe not in a 40 degreesC heatwave - and I used to have mine under shadecloth as well as out in the open. I used to put on the sprinkler right next to them on the hot days - in the morning and evening and that seemed to help. The tips of the fern would be black in the high temps but the fern kept surviving.

• View up to the woodland garden.... (Dicksonia antarctica (Soft tree fern))
  • The Daddy...Dicksonia Antartica. (Dicksonia antarctica (Soft tree fern))
  • Harry and the Tree Ferns (Dicksonia antarctica (Soft tree fern))
  • Tree Fern.......loving the rain. (Dicksonia antarctica (Soft tree fern))