By Frinton

I usually top up my home made compost with a commercial compost consisting of spent mushroom compost and manure and use it as a mulch. However i have heard that manure may now be contaminated with a strong weedkiller. /what do you advise

Never heard of manure and weedkiller being mixed Frinton. I think it would defeat the object of the exercise. I would be more worried using mushroom compost which is strongly alkaline. A lot of plants don't like very alkaline conditions and changing the Ph of your soil unless you know what you are doing is a risky business.

John - there has been a warning out to check where any manure came from - it's true, I'm afraid. I believe it originates from chemicals on grass, but don't quote me.

Hi Frinton - it certainly is true that manure may be contaminated, I'm afraid; there's some further info on the BBC GQT site -

Try going to i think you will find the advice helpful

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond