By Clar3

I think that my garden is East facing as the sun floods the back of the house in the morning. However, the right side of my garden is quickly shrouded in shade, it is shady for most of the day, the sun only hitting the left side and the patio closest to the house. I would love to have flowers along the right hand boarder. Nothing does very well there, and indeed will escape through the fence to create a lovely display in my neighbours garden! Any advice on flowers that thrive in the shade please? Thanks.

If you go to 'S' at the bottom of this page and type in 'Shade Plants' you'll find loads of ideas. Good luck!

Spring flowers like Daffodils, Crocus, Tulips, Grape Hyacinth are very forgiving for shade. Summer flowers tend to want hours and hours of direct sun, so summer colour will be your biggest problem, but I think it will be more a case of you will get smaller plants and less flowers than none at all. Cornflower, Marigolds (French and African), Forget-me-Not, Ligularia etc will be fine. Autmn and winter Pansies and Violas will grow happily.

Crocus flowers will only open in good sunlight Kildermorie the other bulbs should be fine. Hostas, helliboures, hypericum, heuchera, cyclamen hederifolium and coum, Anemone sylvestrus, Lily of the Valley. As Nariz says go to the bottom of the page click on 'S' and 'shade plants' and you will be amazed.