My willow is dying at the top, but has all of these sprouts around the trunk. I've let the sprouts grow to 2 to 2 1/2 ft. should I cut these. What to do.

Hi Wilbur and welcome to GoY. A photo of your tree would be useful, which particular willow is it? You can add the photo to this question by editing.

I hope it's not one of those Kilmarnock weeping types, as shoots from around the trunk may not be the same.The weeping top of these trees are usually grafted on top of another type of willow.If this is the case you will end up with a vertical 'weed' type of willow. As Moon Grower says, a photo or vivid description will help.

That was my concern Volunteer

Yes, I've seen this happen before in people's gardens and wanted to go in 'guerilla-style' and prune out the upward shoots! Is there a law against this, I wonder?

Possibly but I suggest you go for it! Where we liv is so rural that it isn't an issue!